Wednesday 22 July 2015

Blood work day!

Here it is again, hospital blood test day which i have attended weekly for the past 3 years. These tests are to monitor my calcium levels as i suffer from Hypoparathyroidism after an operation to remove my Thyroid due to Graves disease, which they also though was causing my pain which was later diagnosed as Fibromyalgia, Chronic pain Syndrome and Chronic Fatigue syndrome.

On my way to hospital i received a message from my cousin to tell me my Granddad has had a fall and hurt his back, he was currently in an ambulance to the hospital i was attending.
I had my bloods done quickly and rushed around to see my Granddad, his brother was there to who followed him down behind the ambulance (my great uncle but i call him uncle).
My Granddad is a big man with a bigger heart and i know if he could help it he would have tried to hide the pain he was in from me so i didn't worry, which seemed near enough impossible.
The porters came and wheeled his down to the X-ray department to check there were no breaks etc, my uncle went outside for some fresh air whilst he was in so i sat outside the room and waited.
I will never forget the painful screams that were coming from the room whilst they tried to position my Granddad for an X-ray. My 74 year old Granddad seemed in so much pain to wail out through the hospital corridors with nothing i could do to help him.
This is something i will never tell them, unless they read this of course but i doubt it, whoever i spoke to on the phone i reassured them he was fine and hes had an X-ray and painkillers which were kicking in, which they were i didnt lie...i just hid parts of it...white lies?

I am quite glad it was me there as i think now i have hardened a bit, seeing somebody in pain, due to the pain iv endured over the years, i know if it was my mum, Nan, aunties they may have broke down.
I waited there until he was wheeled out and i smiled at him, It will be OK!

He was discharged later that day as the X-ray was clear, he seemed to have strained a muscle which is good news.

Sadly the anxiety i endured between setting of from home to the hospital ( even though i didn't show it), it caused my calcium levels to drop, my levels were 1.83...normal should be around 2.4, so now i'm being closely monitored again!

No comments:

Post a Comment