Wednesday 8 July 2015

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Chronic Pain


Today i had my first session ( after my introduction appointment ) to discuss where i want to begin with the therapy. It isn't as straight forward as tackling one sole issue, i did originally get referred due to anxiety, but it has now come to light that it is also depression, trying to deter my thoughts away from the pain and feeling like a failure and trying to pace myself. 
We have decided to start with pacing myself and dealing with my pain and then move on to my feelings and moods which along with the chronic pain builds up my anxiety...too many circle are going around and around!! 

In order to break the circle, each part of it needs tackling! We can change our physical reactions by practicing relaxation techniques, we can challenge our unhelpful thinking patterns by completing a thought diary and we can change our behaviors by tackling avoidance. By carrying out these things, we should start to notice changes in our mood, feel less anxious and in time learn to accept and manage our pain.
It is common for someone experiencing Chronic Pain to think negatively and negative thinking will increase our sensitivity to the pain that we are experiencing.

Has anybody had CBT for Chronic Pain along with other mental health issues, what techniques did you learn that help with your pain and emotional well being? 

No comments:

Post a Comment